Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2013 22:02:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Conny Andersson <ataraxi@telia.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD slices and the Boot Manager

Hi Warren and Polytropon,

A few minutes ago I booted up from a FreeBSD-8.4-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img
to experience that it is sysinstall that is used in that release.

Next, I did a 'dummy' custom installation. And, as I supposed sysinstall
recognized disk ada0 as ad4 and disk ada1 as ad6. Then I aborted sysinstall
and rebooted in to my FreeBSD 8.3-Release.

Well, AHCI (Serial ATA Advanced Host Controller Interface driver) seems
involved when identifying disks and slices. But, only on newer computers
who has this option set to on in the BIOS. Maybe, bsdinstall in FreeBSD 9.0
and onwards can make use of AHCI directly.

When I bought this workstation and installed FreeBSD I thought something
was very much wrong with the wiring of the hardware/disks and I phoned
Dell's support ... without being much wiser.

My old Dell workstation on which I have used all the FreeBSD's from release
4.8 up to 8.0 I always got ad0 and ad1 as the disks in use. So, I had to
search the Internet for an answer why my new computer numbered disks oddly.
And I found your web page Warren
(http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/ahci.html) and I also read the
ahci man page. I also had to edit my /etc/fstab accordingly.

My FreeBSD 8.3 /etc/fstab:

# Device		Mountpoint      FStype  Options      Dump   Pass#
/dev/ada1s3b            none            swap    sw           0      0
/dev/ada1s3a            /               ufs     rw           1      1
/dev/ada1s3d            /home           ufs     rw           2      2
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto    0      0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw           0      0
linproc      /compat/linux/proc       linprocfs rw           0      0

Apropos labels, I only have two filesystems (+swap) on each slice, as I
only run a desktop workstation. I do that following Greg Lehey's advise in
his book "The Complete FreeBSD" 4th Edition.

More apropos labels: The latest BIOS version 2.4.0 for Dell T1500 does not
support UEFI/GPT/GUID. As far as I know, Dell only have the Unified
Extensible Firmware Interface on its PowerEdge servers.

(The reason why I want to merge two slices into one big ada1s1 is the need
for more disk space for FreeBSD 8.4 and keep 8.3 as it is, but then as
slice 2).

Thank you,

Conny