Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2007 15:06:05 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Subject:   Re: any standard method to fetch a port's sources from svn (or cvs, etc) ?

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

> It is recommended not to do this.  Some of our users are behind firewalls=
=20
> and cannot fetch except via HTTP and FTP.  Instead, you need to create yo=
ur=20
> own tarball of the sources checked out from the VCS, possibly using a=20
> "helper" makefile target that fetches from VCS and creates the tarball fo=
r=20
> republication by you on MASTER_SITE_LOCAL.

Another arguments against fetching the source directly from a VCS are:

 - The build may be broken.
 - Security: Snapshots of the VCS have cryptographic checksums in
   distinfo (as every other 'normal' distfile has). Users of the port
   can thus be sure (at least with a probability of 1 - epsilon ;-)
   that they build the same sources as the port maintainer.

--=20
Best regards / Viele Gr=FC=DFe,                             barner@FreeBSD.=
org
 Simon Barner                                                barner@gmx.de