Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:29:41 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: libc shlib version

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 02:17:29PM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> Can we just stop arguing about this and bump the frickin' numbers already?
> Time is running out!

We certainly can.  But I didn't realize were were arguing vs. discussing
the issue.  (A discussion that needs to happen sooner or later)

I asked Satoshi a few days ago in private email to just say the word that
he wants it bumped and I'll take care of it ASAP.

Satoshi has already agreed for the most part that a shared version bump
won't fix what he wanted to fix.  He will just end up putting the new
libc.so.5 from 4.2 into the 4.0-R Package Upgrade Kit, and it will be as
mismatched as the libc.so.4 he has had in there already.  In a very small
way it will work around the issue as at least the base system will not
have its base libc.so.4 overwritten and that would remove any problems
the base system binaries may be experiencing with the libc.so.4 from the
upgrade kit.

Thus we need to come up with a "real" solution to the problem [which will
no doubt come up again], else we'll potentially be bumping the shared
version number of libc for every release.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX