Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2011 23:31:48 +0000
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        Brian Waters <brianmwaters@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quick question about sound drivers (esp. snd_hda)

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 03:29:44PM -0500, Brian Waters wrote:

> It seems to me that under /dev, you can have the following
> sound-related device files:
>=20
> dspX
> dspX.Y
> (among others)
>=20
> I'm having some trouble getting my sound to work (Dell Inspiron
> E1705/Inspiron 9400 with Sigmatel STAC9220 codec). I've read the
> manpages for snd and snd_hda (which is the appropriate driver), and
> increased the verbosity of the drivers and read the kernel log and
> /dev/sndstat, but I still can't quite wrap my head around everything.
>=20
> What I'm wondering is: what exactly is the meaning of X and Y above?
> I'm assuming that X comes from the "association numbers" in the
> snd_hda driver, but I could be wrong. Please correct me!
>=20
> Thanks,
> Brian Waters

Have you tried setting the default unit:

# sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=3D1

If that works, you can make it permanent with:

# echo "hw.snd.default_unit=3D1" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

If it doesn't, you have to post the output of:

$ cat /dev/sndstat

Make sure your volume is turned up: mixer(8)

HTH.

Regards,

--=20

 Frank