Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 18:17:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Vince Valenti <vince@blue-box.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog-ng

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Vince Valenti wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
>
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/porting.html for future reference.
> >
> > Make sure you've checked the port with ``portlint -a -c'', then submit it
> > as a shar. I prefer this method for shar-generation:
> >
> > [will@shadow /usr/ports/devel/popt]% cd ..
> > [will@shadow /usr/ports/devel]% shar `find popt` > popt.shar
> >
> > This way, if you choose the wrong category for a port, I can easily change
> > that by cd'ing to the right one and unsharing the new port.
>
> Thanks Will...  I have one more question.  On a port like syslog-ng, which
> is a replacement for the standard syslogger, how should it get
> started?  Should I tell the user to edit their rc.conf, or create a script
> in rc.d?

I'm late on commenting here (holiday stuff), but if you're actually going
to use this, as opposed to merely making the port, you'd be very well
advised to go look at nsyslog, which has all the stuff as syslog-ng, I
think, plus more.  I don't think syslog-ng has any options as to
encrypting or signing log entries, it's just got an added grep,
right?  nsyslog has both features.

> Thanks,

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.