Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 1996 01:37:17 -0800
From:      "Freeman P. Pascal IV" <pascal@pascal.org>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers list <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        chris@janus.druidix.com
Subject:   Unexplained segfaults in 2.1.0-RELEASE

Hello all;

I have a client who is running 2.1.0-RELEASE on a Pentium 100 ISA/PCI
motherboard with, 16Mb, AHA1542, and Orchid SVGA card.

I installed 2.1.0 about three weeks ago and for almost two weeks it's
been running just fine using the generic kernel and a custom kernel
configured for just the cards that are installed, IPFIREWALL and
IPACCT.

Around a week ago we started seeing processes dying for no obvious
reason via segfault (signal 11).  There's no pattern to the processes
being affected other than it tends to be processes that exec heavily
(ie. inetd, sendmail, make, window managers, etc).

I tried switching back to the generic kernel that was originally
installed without any effect.

Thinking it might be a shared library problme, I tried recompiling and
swapping out libc.so.2.2 in /usr/lib - no joy.

The machine is currently running continueous memory tests (using
amidiag).  I'm hoping that it shows a bad SIMM.  The tests have been
acting a bit flakey, but I'm not sure if it's the motherboard, memory,
or just that the diags I'm running were designed for 486 class machines.

Has anyone seen this behavior with 2.1.0-RELEASE else where?  Currently,
the way the machines behaving if I can't fix it I'll have to revert
back to 2.0.5 which seems to be more stable (at least on this machine
I have 2.1.0 running else where without flaw).

Any help would be appreciated.

-Freeman

|  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that  |
|  whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting    |
|  life.                                                                 |
|					- John 3:16 (KJV)		 |
|                F r e e m a n   P.    P a s c a l   I V                 |
|  Phone Work:  (510) 645-3454       Email Work:  pascal@tfs.com         |
|        Home:  (510) 215-5742             Home:  pascal@pascal.org      |
|       Pager:  (800) SKY-PAGE        Home page:  http://www.pascal.org  |
|         PIN:        419-2250    Amateur Radio:  KE6LSS                 |