Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 96 20:22:45 -0600
From:      Benjamin Tomhave <tomhavbe@martin.luther.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   More Qs

Well, I have my networkability operational.  I guess it pays to disable the
plug-n-play feature with the 3COM 3c509 cards.

I now have some more questions...

I recompiled my kernel...well, ok, I tried to recompile my kernel...I'm using
an IBM Personal Computer 350-P75 w/ 16MB RAM.  Anyway, I thought that, since
I will be working with several machines locally, I would try and use the
PCVT console instead of the SCO console.  So, I did, and the result was that
I couldn't get anything to work much at all.  So, I guess I'm wondering if
the PCVT console works anything like the SCO console?  Does it support the
ALT-F? multi-terminals?  My big problem right now is that I need to have
my TERM set to vt??? in order to connect nicely with other machines. This
does not work, however, as the console is set to cons25.  Now, I know I can
change this in the /etc/ttys files, but when I just do a TERM=vt220 from
the command line, I get garbage and have troubles doing much of anything.
In any case, if anybody could give me a couple pointers on this, or point
me towards the right documentation area, I'd be grateful.

Second, I got X-Windows up and running (*big sigh of relief*).  However,
I would like to a) save my settings when I end an Xsession and b) would
like to be able to switch out of X-Windows to the command-line mode.  Is
this possible?  I currently have my kernel compiled for Xserver and I
have the xdm -nodaemon line in my /etc/ttys file for ttyv4.  Also, do I
have to customize the X environment manually, or is there a pop-up
program for doing that?  Also, what other features are handy?  Again,
even if someone could point me to soe good documentation (and I apologize
for not reading the online docs, but I'm to that frustrated, burn-out
point right now).

Finally, I would like to use the sysinstall package in order to read the
online help, etc.  However, when I cd to the /stand directory and try to
execute the sysinstall program, I end up with an error saying that there
is a '(' missing somewhere.  Any ideas on what this error is referring to?

Thank you for your sufferance and help!

Sincerely,

Benjamin Tomhave
Luther College