Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:20:31 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>, Sergei Vyshenski <svysh@pn.sinp.msu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newsyslog stops logging of apache

Sergy: Additional thoughts on this is that most likey httpd needs more time
to finsh writing open logs and when it is hurried, it stops acting right.
I've had this same problem with natd which stopped logging for me from
newsyslog. on this problem, I found if I ran a a script that sent a #kill
to the pid and then let it sleep for 10 secs before restart, it solved the
problem. So, you might look at running such a script & experiment with the
stop/restart lag time if nothing else solves it.

At 02:39 PM 1.18.2002 +0500, Sergey N. Voronkov wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 12:25:45PM +0300, Sergei Vyshenski wrote:
>> 4.5-PRERELEASE with fresh port collection, apache-1.3.22_7.
>>
>> As soon as newsyslog turns over file /var/log/httpd-access.log,
>> logging to this file stops despite otherwise normal operation.
>> No such effect with a file /var/log/httpd-error.log.
>>

>Do you send SIGHUP/SIGUSR1 to running apache?
>
>serg@sv ~>tail -2 /etc/newsyslog.conf
>/var/log/httpd-error.log    644  5  100  *   Z  /var/run/httpd.pid 30
>/var/log/httpd-access.log   644  7  250  *   Z  /var/run/httpd.pid 30
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Serg N. Voronkov,
>Sibitex JSC.

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"