Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:59:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      Martin Hepworth <martin@dynasuk.co.uk>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: adding a second scsi drive

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Martin Hepworth writes:
> >
> > Hi Guys
> > I know this is probaly on the most popular questions that get posted
> > here,
>
> Well, I don't know if it's popular, but it's frequent :-)
>
> > but how do you use disklable etc to get a second drive installed
> > with freeBSD 2.1?
>
> With great care.
>
> > I've fdisked the drive, but disklabel complains that the label is not
> > writable- huh?
>
> Yup, that's one of the nice, user-friendly messages it produces.
>
> > I'm running out of room rapidly on my main disk and need the second disk
> > working. What am I doing wrong. my /etc/disktab looks ok to me.
> >
> > Anyone willing to talk me though in very easy clear steps as to what I
> > should be checking to ge the thing going???
>
> I'm working on an addition to the FreeBSD handbook to explain how to
> do this.  You really need to pay extreme attention to detail, or
> you'll end up with messages like you got.  In the meantime, it should
> be available on ftp://freefall.FreeBSD.ORG/incoming/disksetup.ps.gz.
> This is a prerelease version of the documentation; please let me know
> if you find anything wrong or difficult to understand.

Thanks for this Greg, I'll check it out. The way I've finally managed to
do this was a using a cross section of what I already knew and advice the
the guys here on the list.

1) use /stand/sysinstall to fdisk and label the drive - don't forget to
label the new drive as '/' (or at  least on of the new filesystems should
be labelled as '/')

2) exit out back to the install and use a custom setup to just install
the games section. It will probably fail here creating the new filesystem
(well it with me anyway).

3) back to the shell prompt and use 'disklabel -er sd1' to put in the
values that should appear here (see the man page and the settings for the
original disk - sd0?).

4) Now that you've disklabel working put in the information about the
filesystems in /etc/fstab and the do a 'newfs sd1c' (or whatever label
you applied to the file system in disklabel)

5) mount /newfilesystem (again the reference created in fstab should be used)

6) thats it - just remains to alter your backup routines to cope with the
new filesystem(s).

Martin

* Martin Hepworth		* Tel No. +44 (0)1865 316333    *
* Dynasoft Ltd			* GSM     +44 (0)468 461684	*
* 8 South Parade 		* Fax     +44 (0)1865 316444    *
* Summertown			* Support +44 (0)1865 316070    *
* Oxford 			* E-mail: martin@dynasuk.co.uk	*
* OX2 7JL, UK			* WWW	: http://www.dynas.se	*
1st rule of computer security -
WYDSIWGY: What You Don't See Is What Gets You