Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 23:51:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      Peter Hawkins <peter@rhiannon.clari.net.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   mfs root partition

Hi,

I am creating a diskless system with the root partition as an MFS partition.
I do not seem able to get it to mount / even though it boots and gets as far as
running rc (so it must be able to read vn0a up to the attempt to mount).

my fstab entry is:

/dev/vn0a                       /               mfs     rw 1 1

The directory structure itself is crunched and gzipped. the error message
is "mfs not compiled in". I have compiled in newfs and used a link in
the crunch config from that to mount_mfs and both are symbolically linked to the
crunched file. What puzzles me is that it would appear it's attempting
to exec "mfs" not "mount_mfs".

Any help appreciated,
Peter
PS - please respond by email - I do not subscribe to hackers.