Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:46:38 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Arcady Genkin' <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>, Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 486 speed (was: Still can't get ethernet cards going)

	[ML]  That's solved then.

> Hmmm. Makes me wonder... You know, I inherited the motherboard + CPU
> from somebody else, and I don't have any documentation to it. The
> onboard pins to connect the turbo switch or even internal speaker are
> not marked -- so I have no clue at what frequency the processor is
> running (it doesn't report at the boot-up either). I ran old Norton
> diagnostics on it from a floppy, and it reported CPU running at
> 102MHz, which impressed me immensely. When FreeBSD boots is says:
	[ML]  Some motherboards (all I've seen run with turbo
enabled--read L2 cache enabled) when the turbo pins are open; there may
be motherboards which behave differently: look for 2 pins near each
other on the front edge of the MB (the back edge is the one with the
slots).  Should they be jumpered together, try to remove the jumper.
Sound pins come sometimes in the set of four, or 2 pins which are not
immediately near one another.  Norton will always show the same CPU
speed because the test loop runs out of L1 cache (IIRC, I haven't use
Norton since ages).  Another possibility is that the BIOS wait states
are set too long; try to play with that.

	[ML]  /Marino