Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:21:11 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>, <AZNPrideChinese@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: trouble with kde startup

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Syphers" <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>

> On Thursday 20 June 2002 06:49 pm, AZN Unix wrote:
> > when i start up kde it gives me the error message,
> >
> > There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE:
The
> > message returned by the system was
> > Could not read network connection list
/home/AZNPideChinese/.DCOPserver__:0
> > please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!

I had a similar problem, and traced it to the fact that the DCOPserver
was trying to open some log file somewhere under /tmp/.....  (I think it
might have been /tmp/dcopserver, but I can't check right now 'cos that
PC is at home)  Anyway, I set the perms on that directory to 777, and
after that it worked.  If you are more security conscious than me you
might want to be more careful about this, but 777 is fine for me on a
desktop machine.

HTH,

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.