Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:20:12 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <ni@w21.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Olivier_Cochard-Labb=E9?= <olivier@cochard.me>
Cc:        Artem Belevich <art@freebsd.org>, cnehren+freebsd-stable@pobox.com, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for low-power gigE firewall?

On 2014-06-18, at 08:37, Olivier Cochard-Labb=E9 <olivier@cochard.me> =
wrote:

> I confirm for a "home usage", the PC Engines APU can manage up to =
154Kpps
> (about 437Mbs/s of IMIX) in routing and 114Kpps (about 324Mb/s of =
IMIX)
> with ipfw.
> But... 154Kpps is far from the line-rate gigabit (1.48Mpps).

Ubiquiti claims for their EdgeMAX routers to reach 1 Mpps with their =
entry-level model (EdgeRouter LITE) and 2 Mpps with their bigger model =
(EdgeRouter). They have maximum power requirements of 12 W and 40 W, =
respectively.

http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax

I own the other entry-level device, with more ports and PoE (EdgeRouter =
PEO), but don't yet have it in productive use (and would not able to =
attest pps performance at that level anyway).=20

It seems to be quite capable a device, but the Web GUI doesn't cover the =
more interesting parts of its functions, and the documentation of the =
command-line UI, which is modeled strongly after Juniper's, seems to be =
less than fully complete, to say the least.

Might still work out if you are willing to find your way through it. I =
am not yet fully convinced, but then I haven't found much time to do so =
by now.

Regards, Juergen.=