Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 1997 05:59:23 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spatter.freebsd.org halted.

> where are the CTM deltas going to be generated now ?

Not sure yet.

> what's a new disk cost ? I might make a contribution to the Inc. :)

Actually, I've had enough offers of replacement disks that I'm
starting to think seriously of widening this to encompass another
long-standing requirement of the project, namely our need for a nice
fileserver class machine to upgrade freefall as "pointbox" of the
project.  The machine which is now actually freefall really needs to
retire and become a 2nd-tier service machine, it being an overloaded
P5/90 with aging disks and insufficient memory.  It's really done a
great job over the last 3+ years, but lack of sufficient disk and
compute resources has really limited the kinds of things which can be
done with strictly project resources - we don't even have enough
diskspace to keep both the OpenBSD and NetBSD sources online right
now.

If I could get various hardware donors here to commit to the following
component list:

1 P6/200 CPU w/256K cache
1 Intel Venus Motherboard
4 16MB SIMMS
1 Adaptec 2940 or NCR/Symbios PCI controller.
1 Compex ENET32/PCI ethernet controller or similar DC21041 based NIC.

I think the rest could be shuffled together here at Walnut Creek
CDROM.  I've already got 3 tentative offers for replacement 4GB
drives, and if even 2 of them pan out then we would have a pretty good
start.  Since we'd be pretty much cleaning house all around in such a
scenario, we also have a 4Gb drive in thud which could possibly be
swapped for a smaller drive and freefall's new Atlas-II has proven to
be a little problematic there and probably needs to be swapped out
anyway.  Assuming that freefall's drive worked better in a different
configuration (and that wouldn't surprise me), that would bring us up
to 16GB of storage, a pretty healthy fileserver and possibly one
capable of also doing some interesting CCD things to speed up access
to the CVS master repository (assuming that ccd is currently trusted
enough for these kinds of applications, of course :).

If everyone who's committed to providing a disk actually does, and
that would give me 6 4GB drives including the 2 already here, then I
would also hit Walnut Creek CDROM up for this fileserver chassis which
they just happen to have sitting around. :)

The machine which is now freefall could become a combined spatter/thud
sort of box, a P5/90 still being quite a bit nicer for actually doing
things than a 486/DX2 (which both spatter and thud are).  We've
already proven that the hardware is reliable, after all, and the
ex-freefall has 6Gb of usable space it could take with it for
mirroring and archival purposes.

Having freefall be a P6/200 with more memory and lots of disk online
would be a real boost and something I've dreamed of doing for a long
time.  Any nice donors out there share in this dream? :-)

					Jordan