Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:21:10 -0500
From:      Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
To:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Announcements?

At 06:52 PM 4/10/2001 +0200, Szilveszter Adam wrote:
>If you follow -STABLE, you are fine long before the advisory comes out...
>you can
>always find out from the mails on cvs-all.

I imagine many production servers do not follow -STABLE religiously, but
will upgrade as needed when heads-up of specific issues are unearthed.

It's that unearthing process that needs work; one can track list after list
after list, or look to their vendor.  I'd prefer to see 'hey here's a new
issue... we don't have it fixed yet, but workarounds may include...' rather
than silence from the security officer.

Perhaps a security-heads-up list of sorts.  It'd be the crossroad between
security and security-advisories.  Moderated, but with a less formal feel
than advisories.

>--
>Regards:
>
>Szilveszter ADAM