Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 11:35:17 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shells

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> > Two reasons of the top of my head: GPL'd and gratuitously incompatible.
>
> GPL'd things go into /usr/src/gnu - no big deal.  If we were overly
> squeamish about the GPL then we wouldn't have "grep" or a compiler
> toolchain either, among other things, and I doubt anybody's arguing
> for killing those.  The ash shell is just bad enough that I'd consider
> a change of license for a truly functional shell out-of-the-box to
> be a more than acceptable trade-off.

Heh..:-) Please replace grep with the recently developed free grep and
unbundle gcc, making it a package independent from the base
distribution. I won't be sad the day I can use tcc to build a kernel,
besides after rebuilding the kernel (assuming you need to in the first
place), many people don't need a C compiler.

> As to the second argument, you'll have to explain yourself, sonny. :)

I really wanted to keep out from this discussion, however the NetBSD
approach seems rational; keep ash and add pdksh.

The problem is that most developers will want to be 100% sure their
scripts will run out-of-the-box on SUN, Unixware and the u-name it
commercial UNIX, and these people don't carry bash.

cheers,

     Pedro.