Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 1999 22:32:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggested additions for periodic

Hi

I've just modified periodic to read configuration files to decide
whether to run the script or not.

This removes the hardcoded "exit 0"s which are difficult to maintain across
system updates in the /etc/periodic/* scripts

The configuration is read from
  $dir/perodic.conf
  $periodic_conf_files
  /etc/defaults/periodic.conf

The files consist of lines containing the pathname of each script
and a field indicating whether to run the script or not.

The first matching entry in the configuration files determines the
run policy.

If there is no match then the script is run anyway - this is to
provide some backwards compatability and reduce the burden of adding
local scripts (if you add your own you probably want them to run).

  TODO:
  Write a manual page for the configuration files.
  Set periodic_conf_files in rc.conf/rc.conf.local.
  Makefile updates
  Submit a PR.

I'll finish the TODO's if people think this is a worthwhile addition,
otherwise I'll keep them as local patches.

Duncan

---