Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:07:58 +0900 (JST)
From:      =?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCOGVGI0JnQ08bKEI=?= <daichi@ongs.net>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patchset9 test: Japanese Font Problem

> >     (snip)
> >
> > For all users who uses non-english char, this is not good.
> > I tried in many cases, the X bpp changes (8, 16, 24, 36), use font changes (Wadalab, Watanabe, FC),
> > font.properties.ja changes. But all try cannot get success. All tries leads segmentation violation.
> >
> > I was not able to discover the cause of this problem. I gave up.
> > But to use non-english fonts in AWT and JFC/Swing is very important for us.
> > I want to solve this problem. May I solve this problem?
>
> I'll look into it.  But I might need some pointers on where to fetch the
> relevant fonts from :).  Could you also try the font.properties.ja from
> the Blackdown Linux JDK and see if that works any better for you?

FreeBSD ports system is great :) You can get it using ports.

  # cd /usr/ports/japanese/truetypefonts
  # make all install clean

and edit /etc/XF86Config to add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType to
"Files" Section. Notice: You need XTT Xserver to use 2byte char, so
if you do not use it, please install it before font install. for example,

  # cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/XttXF86srv-SVGA
  # make all install clean

After all work you can check Japanese font using xfontsel.

And I checked many font.properties.ja files. I cheched follow:
  o Blackdown JDK1.2.2  font.properties.ja
  o Sun JDK 1.2.2  font.properties.ja
  o KondaraLinux JDK1.2.2  font.properties.ja
  o MyEdited  font.properties.ja (many tried)
But all font.properties.ja leads segmentation violation.

Daichi T.GOTO(ONGS)
    http://www.ongs.net/daichi, daichi@ongs.net