Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 23:22:51 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>, HarDBooT <hardbootpr@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0 install problem

Erik Trulsson wrote:

> On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 12:39:24AM +0200, Christoph Sold wrote:
> > FreeBSD, as Winblows, wants to have its boot partition within the very
> > first two Gig of any drive. It seems you experienced fdisk reporting the
> > fact.
> >

> Nope. FreeBSD just need to have its boot partition within the first 1024
> cylinders. (AFAIK this is true for Windows too.)
> Depending on how old the BIOS is this is either below the 504MB limit (for
> old BIOS) or below 8GB (for newer BIOS).

I have two multi-boot systems with "/", which is a 100MB partition, as
a members of 13GB+ FreeBSD slices. One slice is located just above a
2GB FAT16 and and followed by a 5GB NTFS extended. The other system is
located above a 2GB FAT and a 3GB NTFS extended partition. Both work
just fine. With LBA turned on, cylinder 1024 is just above 8.4GB. The
FreeBSD slices extend well over the 8.4GB region on the UDMA66 drives.
The system with FreeBSD located after the extended partition will
still boot NT4 but the first system won't.

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com