Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 1996 09:12:17 -0600
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        dg@root.com, freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: catching a ping

Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> > >Is there a way to test if some host is pinging me in intervals?
> > >I tried systat -netstat and did a ping -c 1 <host> and the
> > >connection didn't show up (would port 7 be used in that case)
> >
> >    Ping uses ICMP echo requests, so I don't know what you mean by "port 7".
>
> I meant /etc/services  echo 7/tcp
>
> > You could use netstat -s and look at the ICMP echo requests/replies stat.
> >
> > -DG
> >
> > David Greenman
> > Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project
>
> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

ICMP echo requests and "/etc/services  echo 7/tcp" are
two different things.  Echo (tcp/udp port 7) is used to echo
everything you type to it.  If you telnet to port 7 on
a machine that allows it, it will echo everything you type
back to you.  ICMP packets on the other hand don't have ports
associated with them, and echo requests/replies are just one
of their uses.
--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798