Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:49:19 +0100
From:      Philipp Ost <pj@smo.de>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@www.klop.ws>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Subject:   Re: remote debug over usb vs. old serial cable?

Ronald Klop wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:22:36 +0100, Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua> wrote:
>
>> on 26/03/2009 15:06 Erik Trulsson said the following:

>>> USB won't work for that purpose.  It requires far too much kernel
>>> support to
>>> be useful after a panic.
>>

>> Erik,
>> in fact, there is a special USB (EHCI) mode for such purposes:
>> http://www.coreboot.org/EHCI_Debug_Port
>>
>> But that requires some special HW in addition to SW support which our
>> doesn't have.
>>
>> BTW, Ronald, it is possible that you might have a serial header on
>> motherboard
>> which is not connected to any traditional port.
>

> Is that this sio0 one?
> sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio0: port may not be enabled
> sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio0: port may not be enabled
> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio0: type 8250 or not responding
> sio0: [FILTER]
> sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio1: port may not be enabled

Yes. Mine (onboard) is recognized in a similar fashion:
sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on
acpi0
sio0: type 16550A
sio0: [FILTER]
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled

It actually is enabled and working...

> I am going to open my computer tonight to see what is in there.

You want to look out for a 10 pin connector -- they usually look like
jumper connectors (I don't know the correct word in english, in german
it's called "Pfostenstecker"). It's even possible that it's there, but
not connected in any way -- consult the manual of your mainboard to be sure.

Regards,
Philipp