Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 21:16:18 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   User-mode PPP, -auto, and -direct

Unfortunately, there is no English documentation on the 'dedicated'
options in ijpp.  However, after viewing the source it appears that
'dedicated' == using a dedicated slip line, which is a good thing.
However, it also assumes that the dedicated line is not a modem line,
but a dedicated serial line.  My line is dedicated, it's just that I
have to actually make a phone call and login to get it started (and
re-started in case of a bad connection).

Aha, what I need is the 'auto' option.  However, this option has one
feature that I'd rather do away with.  Even if I set the timeout value
to zero it:
1) Will only start the connection if there is data to send.
2) Will not re-start the connection if it falls down and there is no
   data to send.

This may not seem like a problem for most folks, but for me much of the
time I'm not initiating the sending of data, but my host is.  This means
that I want the line to stay up no matter what, and if the line goes
down I want it to re-dial ASAP.

I've been looking through the code, and I've noticed the variable
'VarOpenMode', which can have two states, 'active' or 'passive'.
Although I've set both of these hoping they had something to do with the
program 'passively' initiating the connection, or 'actively' initiating
the connection, but unfortunately not.

Before I go off and hack the code (actually, I'll still probably do that
just to have fun *grin*), does anyone know if it's possible to setup PPP
to be a dedicated auto-dialing program?  Also, what do the openmode
'passive' and 'active' flags stand for?

Thanks!

Nate