Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 00:04:39 -0400
From:      Steve Marmer <ids@interlog.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panic mounting root

I get a panic on boot, after all the hardware stuff, about the inability
to mount root.

Hardware: 4G Quantum Atlas FastWide Scsi-2
          AHA1542CF FAST SCSI-2
          (using a 6?-50 pin adapter)

I have enabled the AHA1542 option "Translate Drives >1G".  Since newfs
worked I assume the problems with this have been fixed.  My disk starts
with a 950Meg DOS partition (slice).  The next "slice" is 1G FreeBSD.
I've been pretty careful ensuring the root part'n is fully below the
magic 1G boundary.  Have I not been careful enough?  Could something else
be the problem?

Thanks for any and all help...