Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 15:32:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS mounts secured by KERBEROS/HEIMDAL, possible in FBSD 4.6?

Hello.

In our environment we use NFS and NIS/YP for distributing and managing a
shared environment. Within the last period the structure of this environment
growth a little bit complicated and several clients machines running
FreeBSD have their own root, but they need to mount centralized shared
filesystems from our NFS server.
NIS/YP is a bad solution for this purpose, AFS is not a core part of FreeBSD
and so I played with (maybe a very naive) the idea to 'kerberize' everything.

At this moment we build up a KDC. My intention is to autheticate each machine
and each user against a 'heimdalized' or 'kerberized' user database and
each NFS export should be exported as a kerberized export. I need to prevent
each NFS export to be compromised by an extern client's root, so a extern
machine should be able to mount a NFS export - but no root access is gained
for no centralized root. Example: the NFS export 'homes' contains all
the home directories for our users. Within the NIS/YP domain it is no problem
to export them to clients which are under control of a small supervisor group.
But within our workgroup of scientists we have an ongrowing group of clients
which are not managed centralized, means they have their own root. Problem
with NIS/YP and NFS is, that root on those extern clients can gain access
to each user by 'su -' when they are member of the NIS/YP domain and have
their own local root. You can understand, that this is not a nice and secure
solution.

My question is: is their a solution with native FreeBSD tools to restrict
'extern' root's access to a NFS share within a NIS/YP domain? My idea is
to have a bunch of servers under central control (also NFS and NIS/YP server)
and a bunch of local managed clients with their own local root. These machines
should be able to mount a NFS export and being member of the NIS/YP domain, but
root on those machines must not have access to any root-shares or shares
of other users.

I saw several mount options for kerberos/heimdal in FreeBSD's manual for
mount and I thought this could be a solution.

Are their any other working solutions for those problems for FreeBSD 4.6/4.5?
Those solutions should work in a environment with a lot of traffic and must
be stable like NFS and NIS/YP under FreeBSD 4.6.

I would like to welcome each hint, tip or discussion of this problem,
my knowledge is rather limited.

Thanks a lot.

oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)