Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:40:38 -0000
From:      "Barry Scott" <tsbarry@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        "'freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: i4b and netgraph (was: I4B support for US ISDN?)

> - as far as i understood the netgraph docs, they also use function calls
>	and _no_ message queues for interlayer communication. So going
>	to netgraph would not solve the mentioned problem. BTW: i once
>	asked Terry about the queue/function tradeoffs when that was
>	discussed on the mailinglist and got no reply.

	Having worked on both function call and queued netgraph like
	software I have to agree that function call is a major design
	bug in netgraph.

	I'm sure netgraph uses direct call to get speed. But in DEC we
	benchmarked queuing vs. direct call and there is no advantage.

	On the other hand the queuing gives many advantages.

	Very few reentrancy problems.
	Never overflow the stack.
	Simpler software - faster in design, implementation and debug
	etc...

		BArry