Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 05:06:02 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        brian@mediacity.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rsh ... permission denied oddity

> > In article <199610092258.PAA29757@MediaCity.com> you wrote:
> > : How does one specify the host and remote user name in the .rhosts
> > : file?
>
> Peter Childs wrote:
> > In your .rhosts file
> > hostone.domain1.org username1
> > hosttwo.otherplace  username2
>
> Is this in the man pages?

 Hmm... rlogin shows reference to rlogind... the man page contains

    Once the source port and address have been checked, rlogind proceeds with
    the authentication process described in rshd(8).  It then allocates a

 so we check out rshd(8)...

 8. Rshd then validates the user using ruserok(3),  which uses the file
    /etc/hosts.equiv and the .rhosts file found in the user's home di-
    rectory.  The -l option prevents ruserok(3) from doing any valida-
    tion based on the user's ``.rhosts'' file, unless the user is the
    superuser.

 hmm.. off to ruserok(3)...

    machine name is listed in the ``hosts.equiv'' file, or the host and re-
    mote user name are found in the ``.rhosts'' file; otherwise iruserok()

 and examining /usr/share/skel/dot.rhosts (the template for .rhosts)

#       $Id: dot.rhosts,v 1.3 1996/09/21 21:35:47 wosch Exp $
#
# .rhosts - trusted remote host name and user data base
#
# see hosts.equiv(5), rsh(1), rlogin(1), rcp(1)
#
# This file should NOT be group or other readable.
# OtherMachine
# OtherMachine myFriend

 so I guess its there.. just a bit hidden and not too clear....

 If your having some problems you can't figure the process for
 authenticating is spelt out in the rshd/rlogind man pages, and
 the code for the ruserok function is in
 /usr/src/lib/libc/net/rcmd.c

 Regards,
   Peter