Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:31:08 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        "Heiko Wundram (Beenic)" <wundram@beenic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@teledomenet.gr>
Subject:   Re: performance impact of large /etc/hosts files

Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wrote:

>Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007 13:01:14 schrieb Alex Zbyslaw:
>

>><snip explanation>
>>I don't see how a firewall is appropriate for this (hosts.allow,
>>likewise).  The point of the exercise is to never even contact the ad host.
>>

>Transparent proxy with squid on the firewall? There's even plugins to manage
>exactly this kind of ad-blocking with squid; although I don't currently know
>the extension's name.
>
>This is pretty much going to be your only option to do this in a centralized
>fashion.

Squid may well be an alternative solution, but it's not, imho, a
firewall solution as Nikos was proposing.

I have zero experience of squid beyond reading about it, but it has
always sounded like a major resource hog.  Perhaps just running one
plugin to do just this would be OK?

The advantage of /etc/hosts is simplicity.  For a small home network of
BSD machines it's pretty trivial to propagate updates.  Not even *that*
hard to copy the file to a couple windows machines.  Beyond that, the
updates could get pretty tedious.

For a network-wide, multi-OS solution I would still look at DNS just
because it's more lightweight than squid.  Which is not to say that
someone else shouldn't reach an alternate conclusion :-)  Always good to
know what the alternatives are!

Best,

--Alex