Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 1996 15:04:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Charlie ROOT <root@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sorting Incoming Mail

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Charlie ROOT wrote:

> What I don't quite get is subscribing to different groups under
> different names--e.g., instead of subscribing to doc as andrsn@
> andrsn.stanford.edu, I'd subscribe as fdocs@andrsn.stanford.edu,
> create a user (without a valid shell or some such, so even if the
> user had a password it would never need to be used) named fdocs,
> and then use procmail to sort all mail to fdocs into the
> appropriate folder/file in /usr/home/andrsn.  Is that how people
> do it?

I suppose you could do it that way, but its unnecessary
complexity.  Look carefully through the headers on messages from
mailing lists.  Usually there will be something you can sort on.
In messages from the FreeBSD mailing lists, the Sender: field is
a giveaway:

  Sender: owner-questions@freebsd.org

in the header.  Then in my ~/.procmailrc (among other things):

# Messages from any of the freebsd mailing lists...
:0
* ^Sender:.*owner.*@freebsd.org
{
  # The doc list gets filed in doc...
  :0
  * ^Sender:.*doc
  doc

  # The cvs list gets filed in cvs...
  :0
  * ^Sender:.*CVS-committers
  cvs

  # Separate out questions so I can ignore them...
  :0
  * ^Sender:.*questions
  questions

  # ...and everything else in bsd.
  :0
  bsd
}

With pine you can set up a collection of "incoming" folders that
you can quickly scan through using the <tab> key.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================