Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 16:27:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        nash@mcs.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unices are created equal, but...

> [ posted to hackers only ]
>
> The execl throughput test was a complete massacre, with Linux more
> than an order of magnitude faster.  Does anyone familiar with the
> internals of exec know why?

Did you use the old linux shared lib scheme?  It is much faster to
start-up than the new dynamic shared libs.  To compare the kernels,
I suggest linking both benchmarks -static, and you'll find that FreeBSD's
fork/exec performance is a little slower than Linux's (not an order
of magnitude :-)).  I have been working the issue, and think that I have
a few more efficiency improvements in my bag of tricks (running on
my own -current tree.)  I'll probably commit some of them before the
next snap.

John
dyson@freebsd.org