Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:31:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cur{thread/proc}, or not.

:>     It's a mess, but the code produced isn't too bad.  It's much better
:>     now that the mutexes are calling real procedures.
:
:Mutexes only call procedures if debugging options are on.  If you compile
:without INVARIANTS, KTR, or WITNESS, then you get the maximum inline
:versions.

    Sigh.  Well, better then nothing I guess.

:Regarding __globaldata() .. That's almost how an intermediate version
:of globals.h did it on the i386, about rev 1.16.  We always have the option
:to go back to something like later on if preemption turns out to be a wash.
:
:Your inline function doesn't work though.. %fs isn't a general purpose
:register.. You can't store a pointer in the register itself.  You have
:to use an indirect memory reference to fetch the pointer.

    Ach.  Right, of course.

:Anyway, we have plenty of time to come back to this if it turns out that
:we dont need the complexity.  We have *lots* of optimization choices.
:But we should not start restricting our options yet.
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter
:--
:Peter Wemm - peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; peter@netplex.com.au

    Well, that's part of the problem.  We *don't* hav elots of optimization
    choices.  The way things are currently set-up it is not possible to
    depend on *anything* being stable without obtaining a mutex first.

    I'm not going to worry about it for the moment, I have bigger fish
    to fry.

				-Matt
				Matthew Dillon
				<dillon@backplane.com>