Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:32:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        arno@RZ.FH-Augsburg.DE
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb printing to epson stylus photo 895

In local.freebsd.stable you write:

>I have a problem with an Epson Stylus Photo 895. The printer has only
>a usb interface. When i power up the printer the console shows

>uhub1: Texas Instruments General Purpose USB Hub, class 9/0, rev
>1.10/1.01, addr 2
>uhub1: 2 ports with 0 removable, self powered
>ulpt0: EPSON USB Printer, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3, iclass 7/1
>ugen0: EPSON SP 895 Storage  , rev 1.10/1.10, addr 4

>But when i try to print to /dev/ulpt0 the print head only moves a little
>richt an left - nothing is printed.

How/what do you print?  I think these printers need a bunch of funky
escape sequences in order to do anything useful.

I'm using ghostscript + gimp-print (included in the port) with my
Stylus Photo 1270.  Gimp-print seems to support the 895, as device
"escp2-895".  Try using gs to produce a file from postscript input,
and then send that file to the printer.

I don't know if apsfilter can do The Right Thing for you. I'm using a
custom print filter that runs ghostscript.

The only gotcha was that in order to make it print reliably, I had to
put a short sleep (1 second is enough) in the print filter, before
sending any data to the printer.

  $.02,
  /Mikko
--