Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 12:19:44 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3 FreeBSD

Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au> types:
> > I think you have to read the mailing lists and decide if you need
> > to go to -STABLE.
> Probably the correct attitude ..... the more I read about problems
> resulting from CVSUP the more I think its better for people wanting
> a really reliable & relatively basic system to stick with RELEASE
> versions, although as you say the later point versions may well be
> better than earlier ones.

Well, the longest uptimes are obtained by having installed 2.2.8 and
left the machine alone ever since :-).

Yeah - for productions machines that I'm not monitering regularly, I
install -RELEASE, and update (either to -stable, or with patches) when
there's a security problem in something the machine is running. I've
only rarely encountered a system that wasn't able to go between
-RELEASE's without crashing.

I also avoid .0 releases for the really critical machines in that
category, as that's the first exposure of that branch to the
public. This latter rule applies to commercial, non-Unix software as
well. Though I haven't noticed this on FreeBSD, for commercial
software the .1 releases seem to be mostly bug fixes, and it's not
until .2 that performance of the new features is comparable to what
they replaced.

On the other hand, these days marketeers seem to be driving release
names/numbers, so these guidelines are no longer useful for commercial
software.

	<mike