Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 10:14:41 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Error building 4.0-Stable kernel (dev/mii/mii.c)

I am attempting the update from 3-Stable to 4-Stable following the
instructions in UPDATING and things were going OK until I tried to
make the new kernel. It configed just fine, so I think I fixed all of
the syntax errors. I then did a 'make depend' and finally, 'make'.

cc -c -O -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wuninitialized -Wformat -Wunused  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I../../../include  -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h -elf   ../../dev/mii/mii.c
../../dev/mii/mii.c:80: `bus_driver_added_desc' undeclared here (not in a function)
../../dev/mii/mii.c:80: initializer element for `miibus_methods[5].desc' is not constant
*** Error code 1

Stop.

cvsup was yesterday at about 2300 UTC. Since GENERIC builds OK, I
guess it must be my config file, but I don't see anything there.

Other than 'device miibus', is there some other option or device I
need? I can't find anything useful on either current or stable archives.

Here is my config:

#
# KZIN -- K6 kernel config file
#
# For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
# Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/KZIN,v 1.246.2.4 2000/06/05 07:56:42 luoqi Exp $

machine         "i386"
#cpu            "I386_CPU"
#cpu            "I486_CPU"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
#cpu            "I686_CPU"
ident           KZIN
maxusers        32
#makeoptions    DEBUG=-g                #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

# CPU options
options         NO_F00F_HACK            #not a iPentium
options         CPU_WT_ALLOC            #enable write-back allocation
options         NO_MEMORY_HOLE

options         GPL_MATH_EMULATE        #Support for x87 emulation
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         INET6                   #IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options         MFS                     #Memory Filesystem
options         MD_ROOT         #MFS usable as root device, "MFS" req'ed
#options        NFS                     #Network Filesystem
#options        NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device, "NFS" req'ed
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         CD9660_ROOT             #CD-ROM usable as root. "CD9660" req'ed
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         SCSI_DELAY=15000        #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) syscall trace support
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         P1003_1B                #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options         _KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L
options         ICMP_BANDLIM            #Rate limit bad replies

#config         kernel  root on wd0

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
#options        NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options        NBUS=4                  # number of busses
#options        NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options        NINTR=24                # number of INTs

device          isa
device          pcm
device          eisa
device          pci

# Floppy drives
device          fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device          fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
#disk           fd1     at fdc0 drive 1

# IDE controller and disks
#options                "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
#controller     wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
#device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12

device          vga0    at isa?

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device   splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa?

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx0    at isa? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus                   # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt                     # Printer
device          ppi                     # Parallel port interface device

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          xl              # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')
# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
pseudo-device   ether           # Ethernet support
pseudo-device   tun             # Packet tunnel
pseudo-device   pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device   md              # Memory "disks"
pseudo-device   gif     4       # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
pseudo-device   faith   1       # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device   bpf             #Berkeley packet filter

Thanks for any suggestions!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)