Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:35:50 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "JOSHUA RICHESIN" <jrichesin@peoplepc.com>
Subject:   Re: network

Have you tried pinging some known IP ??

I'm guessing the card isn't configured for the correct cable

A problem with those generic NE2000 things is that its usually
impossible to locate the software tool needed to point them at
the correct one, and since Mr Murphy (or his brother) probably
lives at your place its certain that your NIC is looking for a
RJ45 cable when its only got a BNC connected to it

Suggestion ..... get a NIC that you can get a config tool cum
diagnostic utility for ......
like SMC 8013 / 3-com 507 / 3-com 509