Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:12:21 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What happened to /home?

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:33:20 +0200, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> That's your problem right there.  /home does not point to the absolute
> path of '/usr/home' but to a *relative* path starting at whatever
> happens to be your current directory when you access '/home'.
>
> Try replacing your current /home symlink with a link to /usr/home
> instead:
>
>     # cd /
>     # rm -f home
>     # ln -s /usr/home home
>
> Then the symlink should start working in a more useful manner.

That's quite strange... I have /home@ -> export/home and /export
lives on another partition. But I have no problems accessing
files as /home/poly/some/dir/some/file from wherever I am.
As far as I understood, relative symlinks prefix their respective
targets always with their own location, so /home + export/home
gives /export/home.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany