Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 12:24:51 +0200
From:      Miroslav Kes <mira@rockwell.cz>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.2: wdc0 not found at 0x1f0 :-(

Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Miroslav Kes wrote:
>
> > I have PC with PCI bus and (among others) onboard IDE hard disk
> > controller. There is only one device connected to it - ACER 16x CDROM.
> > It is set as the master on that controller. My hard drives are SCSI and
> > there is no problem. Everything goes OK during startup but the FreeBSD
> > (2.2.2 from Walnut Creek CDROM) cannot find the wdc0 controller:
>
> I assume that this CD is a leftover, since if you have SCSI you'd
> certainly want to use a SCSI CDROM instead of IDE's, which don't adhere to
> standards that well.

Hm, you are right the SCSI CD-ROM would be better but I have another PC
where all the drives and CDROM are on PCI/IDE, the CD-ROM is the same as
in this case and everything works fine with FreeBSD. I think the CD-ROM
is not the problem.
The problem is that FreeBSD cannot find the IDE controller at all.
Looking for the devices on that controller would be next step if the
controlled was found, wouldn't be? Even if I disconnected the CDROM from
the IDE connector the error message was the same.
On the other hand Win NT had no problem to find all devices including
the CD-ROM.

> > wdc0 not found at 0x1f0
>
> Is this controller enabled in BIOS setup and is your cabling & jumpers set
> correctly?

Yes when booting the PC, BIOS says "CD-ROM drive Installed"

> > options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
> > options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
> > device          wcd0            #IDE CD-ROM
>
> These do have to be in your current kernel.

I have all these in the kernel - the kernel is generated based on the
configuration file listed at the end of my original message.

Today I asked my vendor what type of the motherbord is in the PC. It is
Intel Rosewood RC440 SX.

Any idea is still welcome.

Mira

|                     Miroslav Kes                        |
| Rockwell Automation Ltd.   | tel.:   (+420) 2 2425 6913 |
| Research Center Prague     | fax:    (+420) 2 250467    |
| Americka 22                | e-mail: mira@rockwell.cz   |
| 120 00 Praha 2 - Vinohrady |                            |
| Czech Republic             |                            |