Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:47:17 -0500
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is minicom exploitable under FreeBSD?

I'm not certain this is "technical enough" for this group, but it seems
appropriate, none the less?

Per the following synopsis, is minicom, as found in the packages collection,
vulnerable?

---8<---

*** {01.19.020} Cross - Format string vulnerabilities in minicom

An advisory was released recently demonstrating format string
vulnerabilities in the upload/download functionality of minicom. If
minicom is set sgid uucp (which was recommended at one point in time),
it is possible to gain uucp group privileges and potentially use those
privileges to gain root privileges (the advisory details a potential
exploit path).

No patches have been made available. This vulnerability has not been
confirmed.

Source: SecurityFocus Bugtraq

--->8---

Minicom installed on my system as:

  [sheol] /usr/local/bin$ ll mini*
  -rwsr-xr-x  1 uucp  dialer  132372 Nov 16  2000 minicom

Not installed SGID, but it is SUID.

I only use it to talk to my Cisco DSL modem over cuaa1; I can't figure out
how to get 'cu' to talk to it (which I would if I could).

TIA,
Dave