Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:20:08 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install problems on Compaq

Patrick O'Reilly schrieb:

> Help?
>
> I'm trying to install 4.2 on an old Compaq Deskpro.  When trying to write
> /bin and /src, etc from the CD I get errors saying that -1 bytes were
> written ?!?

Disk full error, isn't it? Either your partitions are too small, or your
RAM disk is not big enough to unpack some binaries.

> This same CD has been used to install a dozen other PCs without a hitch!
> Does anyone know if there is anything special about old Compaq Deskpros  (It
> is a 200 MMX processor).

It would do that, too. Repartition again, and keep an eye to partition
sizes. On old boxes, choosing default (automatic) partition sizes causes
some pretty crazy results.

HTH
-Christoph Sold