Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:36:46 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        Joseph Mallett <jmallett@newgold.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Bill Moran wrote:
> > > Are you saying you use DHCP for servers? If so, maybe
> > > I should shut up and listen for a while because
> > > apparently there's something here I can learn.

DNSUPDAT: You DHCP server fixes up your DNS, so that
your "FILESERVER1" is always "FILESERVER1", regardless
of its IP address.

> > I did for a long time because I simply couldn't get a
> > static IP from my ISP. Hell, I'd love to use it now,
> > then I wouldn't have to make sure I hardcode the
> > IP/route/netmask/etc. into all my startup scripts on
> > every box. But maybe convenience is a bad thing.
>
> Hmmm ... but I'm talking about servers in general. It's
> one thing to have a dynamic IP on the outside of a
> firewall machine, but do you have a dynamic IP on the
> inside? Do other servers use dynamic IPs when they aren't
> forced to?

Sure.  You aren't supposed to find services with DNS,
anyway: you are supposed to use SLP.

See http://www.openslp.org/ ...I did the patches that
made it so it would compile and run on FreeBSD, and
they included them.

You should also note the BSD license on the code...

-- Terry