Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:47:08
From:      "Aaron Hill" <hillaa@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting tcpmss into 4.2-RELEASE

Hello,

I am currently making an automated build process for a 4.2-RELEASE firewall.
According to the release notes 4.2-RELEASE came out in November 2000 and
according to some FreeBSD-questions posts tcpmss was added to PPP in
4-STABLE on 18th December.

My problem is I would like to get tcpmss into a 4.2-RELEASE system without
having to do a cvsup, make world, make kernel etc etc. Not that these things
are painful to do manually, but they are hard to do in an automated process
that may or may not have a connection to the Internet at the time.

So is there a patch for just the tcpmss updates that I could run against the
FreeBSD source before making a custom kernel? Any other ideas on how I can
do it?

Thanks for anything someone can think to help.

Also, while I have your ear, could someone explain to me if tcpmss is only
needed for a PPP connection? I know you can make do without it on any
connection if you make the required MTU changes to all the workstations but
that's not what I'm asking.

Thanks again.

Aaron Hill