Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:45:43 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I'm rather annoyed with -current.

> Both of these problems are due to ordering problems in the Makefile,
> which can be fixed in the 'world' target, but don't really fit into the
> current model used.

Ah.  Feh, this REALLY needs to be fixed.  -current is broken right
now, plain and simple, and if the people who implemented the features
which have added all this dependency brokenness don't stand up and
finish the job soon, I think it might be reasonable to start calling
for the backing-out of certain changes, the thread stuff coming
especially to mind.  Leaving -current broken for this long is truly
not acceptable and it's persisted for long enough.

> It basically boils down to the fact that we *should* be building the
> sources out of the src tree and not out of the stuff in
> /usr/{lib|include} etc...  (Which I've argued against in the past as
> un-necessary and complex, but I think we've now reached critical mass
> and require it.)

I agree.  Do I hear a volunteer? :-)

> > I haven't been able to build -stable for several weeks now - is it

Ack, typo, I meant -current.

						Jordan