Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 12:43:50 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        mark@quickweb.com (Mark Mayo)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install to second hard-drive...

As Mark Mayo wrote:

> There's no tips in the FAQ or handbook for installing on a drive other
> than the 1st BIOS disk... just curious how I should place the boot manager
> in the first drive so I can boot to freeBSD (without nuking win95).

You need to install the boot manager on the first drive (required),
and maybe on the FreeBSD drive, too (optional, you can get away with a
standard bootstrap there, or even with `dangerously dedicated' mode,
but you won't get a menu then allowing you to toggle back and forth
through the drives).

I don't know whether booteasy can handle more than one drive.  I
remember somebody saying that os-bs is better in this respect.

> Also, is there a way to use the boot floppy to boot from any drive? On my
> system, I was able to boot from the floppy, and type:
> 1:sd(0,a)kernel
>
> and it booted fine.. just doesn't seem to work with his wd drive though. I

1:wd(2,a)kernel

It's the second BIOS drive (#1 aka D:), but FreeBSD takes it as wd2
since it doesn't auto-assign the unit numbers in the wd driver, but
rather hard-codes them into the possible device slots.

--
cheers, J"org