Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 19:24:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Johnathan Raymond Sconiers II <jrs@Mcs.Net>, Johnathan Raymond Sconiers II <john@Mcs.Net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: do you support

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> Nope, Stefan Esser wrote all of the NCR drivers, and if I may say so
> myself, I've only one *ONE* problem (and it turned out to be in another
> part of the system that triggered the 'error') in the 2.5 years I've
> owned them, while the Adaptec people have weekly problems.  The
> advantage of having access to the programming documentation has been
> obvious to me.

  Weekly problems is a bit of an exaggeration

  Programming info is available for Adaptec cards, just like the NCR
cards.  Perhaps maybe 3 years ago that was case, but not for a long time.
The Adaptec cards do more things on-board so the driver is more complex.

  Also, the existing ahc driver is not being maintained anymore.  It has
known bugs that no one will fix, because the SCSI people are looking ahead
to CAM.  The CAMified ahc driver is reputed to very solid
(wcarchive.cdrom.com uses it), but is only for serious hackers right now.

> Nate

Tom