Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:34:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Friedman <mikef@ack.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fastcgi port fixed but not updated?

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 at 17:10 (-0400), Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Mike Friedman <mikef@ack.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
>
>> I've recently discovered a problem report for the mod_fastcgi (2.4.2)
>> port:  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/79774. The
>> report seems to indicate that the port was fixed shortly after the PR
>> was sent (May 31), yet I just did a cvsup and the buggy port still
>> shows up.

>> Anyone know what might be going on?  Since the fastcgi port is called
>> by the rt-3.4.2 port (which is my real interest), keeping my fixed
>> version of the former around under a different name is not really a
>> good option, in case I need to update RT.
>
> The bug report claims that the install fails. It works fine for me with
> the Apache 1.3 port, so I suspect that a more sophisticated fix would be
> needed; if the path were hard-coded as you suggest, the port would *only*
> work with Apache2.

Lowell,

I can see your point about the content of the fix.  But the bug report
does say the following (in the Audit-Trail):

    Port has been updated since this PR has been sent.
    It seems to install flawlessly.

As you say, the one line fix (in 'do-install') would not seem consistent
with your experience installing fastcgi with Apache 1.3, where you don't
have the problem.  (I'm installing RT with fastcgi and Apache 2). Just
looking at the Makefile didn't reveal to me that the fix proposed in the
bug report wouldn't be appropriate for Apache 1.3.

But my question was motivated by the apparent contradiction between the
above-quoted statement in the report and the fact that the port wasn't
actually updated (perhaps for the reason you give).

Meanwhile, I'm left with a mod_fastcgi port that will not install, as
delivered, with Apache 2.  Yet the RT port depends on the fastcgi port.

Mike

Mike Friedman                   System and Network Security
mikef@ack.Berkeley.EDU          2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                  University of California at Berkeley
http://ack.Berkeley.EDU/~mikef  http://security.berkeley.edu