Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 05:40:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        hackers, questions
Subject:   East Asian Mail Relays Wanted

	the recent addition of mail-relays has been a real boon to
	the FreeBSD community--the mail moves faster and with less
	delay than ever before.

	we would like to continue this effort ;)

	mail-relays are needed for .th, .tw, .hk, .nz, .kr, .my

	any sites able to volunteer to handle the east asian sites?

	.th	thailand
	.tw	taiwan
	.hk	hong kong
	.nz	new zealand
	.kr	korea
	.my	malayasia

	each of message to these domains has an average of 1 recipient
	a well-relayed domain has an average of at least 6 recipients
	per message

	Poul-Henning Kamp's earlier mail described the desired features
	of a mail-relay site.

	authorization from the site
	good connectivity
	control over its own dns

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> The email load on freebsd.org is still too high for our little setup,
> so we would like to find four to eight mail-relays to share the load
> of the "heavy" domains:
>
> 	.net  .com  .org  .us .gov .mil
>
> What we need is:
>
>   1. a machine, we prefer FreeBSD, obviously :-)
>
>   2. that is well connected (Min T1) (needed BW is a couple of kbyte/sec)
>
>   3. has plenty of space in /var (> 40 Mb free)
>
>   4. is up 24h/24h
>
>   5. has some cpu cycles to burn.
>
>   6. is accepted by the owner of the machine, facility and net to
> 	be used for this purpose.
>
> What we want to do:
>
>   Make an mx-record that points to your machine, so that you machine will
>   receive some share of the emails to domains mentioned above and deliver
>   them to the recipients.
>
> Why ?
>   Because we can deliver one copy to your machine, which will then deliver
>   1 copy to each the 10 destination machines, thus saving bandwidth at
>   freebsd.org.
>
> What happens if your machine goes down ?
>   Some mail will be stuck on your machine, but freebsd.org will just deliver
>   new emails to other machines in this group of mail-relays.
>
> Is there any software to install ?
>   No.  We rely on sendmail as it comes right out of the box.
>
> Is there any configuration to deal with ?
>   No.
>
> Is there any extra work for me ?
>   No.
>
> Do I get anything for it ?
>   No.
>   (We will mention you on our web-side and in the handbook, but that's all.)
>
> Yes, I can help you!
>   Send email to mailgeeks@freebsd.org, please tell us a little about the
>   machine, its net connection, who has approved this use, which of the
>   domains listed above you would be willing to serve and a traceroute
>   to freebsd.org from the machine.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Poul-Henning

jmb