Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 1996 15:26:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de (Thomas Graichen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP support?

> : I will send you patches; you will not be able to trigger the
> : buzz-flag to throw the second processor into the scheduler,
> : however.
> : The second processor LDT/GDT is incorrectly setup in my patch set;
> : I would be happy to have you fix it for me.
> : I'm not going to write right now (basically a BSD version of
> : "SoftIce(tm)"), or to sit down and line-by-line analyze what
>
> maybe a look into a recent linux kernel (they have SMP working) or an email to
> alan cox (he has written much of of the linux SMP stuff) may help ?

I'll get to it eventually.  Since I have a running system with older
kernel and VM code, I'd just as soon address the easy-to-address
(for me anyway) issues of kernel reeentrancy and FS multithreading.

The SMP in the Linux kernel is low-grain at present.  I want kernel
threads and no significant degradation from 2 to 4 to 8 processors
(my desired target is a 32 processor PPC machine from a company in
Germany... think they'll send me one for testing?  8-)).

There's a P6 machine with "only" 4 processors that I think would be
nice as well... when I get excited, I count based on number of
processors instead of per-processor power.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.