Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 20:41:06 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Anthony Hoelzle <pentium@cio.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ps: bad name list

Anthony Hoelzle wrote:

> when I type ps or ps -ax etc., I get the error "ps: bad namelist" what
> could this mean?

Probably means your kernel and userland weren't build from the same set
of sources. i.e. you built one but not the other after updating the
source tree. (Or is that something else I'm thinking of?)

> how can I fix it?

`make buildworld' with the same source tree you built your kernel from,
or just rebuild the bits you need to. (ps, libkvm, vmstat, iostat are a
few which spring to mind. Probably best to build the whole lot.)

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk