Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 22:37:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Recent -current breaks console probing on dell notebook?

Until yesterday, I was running -CURRENT from around July 4th on my
notebook, given that I was travelling and unwilling to break my means of
giving presentations on my trip :-).  Yesterday, I decided to upgrade, and
built kernel/world.  The userland stuff appears to work fine, but
interestingly, my kernel seems not to probe the console, and instead, use
the serial console.  The boot loader does not have this problem, and sees
the console fine.  The symptoms are that as the kernel loads (spin spin)
after the boot loader, it ceases spinning, the cursor changes to a block,
and after a delay for hardware probes (&tc), the login prompt comes up but
without the ability to type.  Unfortunately, I don't have a box with me I
can use as a serial console, so I can't attempt to see what it did or
didn't probe successfully, just that things got that far.  When I get home
tomorrow, I'll attempt to debug it, but was wondering if anyone else had
experienced this, or could point me at any commits that might potentially
impact this.

Thanks,