Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 2008 07:59:31 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Anton - Valqk <lists@lozenetz.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP DEBUG: FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p3 TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA + other strange behaviour!

--3r2sERxeG5twY2zu

Hi Anton,

On 2008-Sep-26 15:13:19 +0300, Anton - Valqk <lists@lozenetz.org> wrote:
>you are right that the machine has *lots* ot hardware in it,
>I was thinking of the power supply as a reason and measured the 5 and 12
>volts - seemd to be ok 11.8 and 5.2 with all hardware in it.

A multimeter won't show noise or load spikes.  That said, if the PSU
is reasonably new and running well within its ratings, it shouldn't be
a problem.

>1. remove rl0 and run only one isp for the test.

It's definitely worthwhile getting rid of rl(4) cards.  Read the top of
the driver source for reasons.

>3. try to replace the ATA100 cables (the one with 80 wires) with an
>older ones with only 40 cabels?

I wouldn't recommend this.  The 80-wire cables are electrically much
better than the 40-wire ones.  You might like to try a different
cable.  You should verify that the master/slave/MB sockets on the
cable are plugged into the correct device.  If you want to slow down
the ATA bus, I suggest you do it in software.

>4. ? anything else?

Try disconnecting some of the disks and see if the problem goes
away - this would help rule out PSU problems.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--3r2sERxeG5twY2zu

--3r2sERxeG5twY2zu--