Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 03:42:02 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BootEasy?  It ain't so easy for *me*!

Greetings again folks.  Once again I come to you in a sorry state of
confusion and ask for help with yet another boot-time problem.

Please extend me your forgivness is this one is already an FAQ.  I
suspect that it is not.

Here's the deal...

I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 onto another system here.  (The other one
shipped out last week and will be serving as my corporate web presence
soon.)

Anyway, the system I installed FreeBSD on today has --2-- SCSI disk drives
on it.  I installed FreebSD entirely into one of the 4 available ``fdisk''
partitions on the lower numbered SCSI drive.  Suffice it to say that on
the _other_ drive, there exists another operating system (in one massive
partition) which I want to save and which _is_ already marked as bootable
I believe.  (I plan to play games with my SCSI device IDs when switching
between these two operating system.  Don't ask.)

So anyway, getting back to the point, I successfully installed FreeBSD into
one partition of the (new) lower number drive on this system.  Then, at the
end of the install, there is the normal reboot sequence.  (Note that I had
requested the FreeBSD ``BootEasy'' thingy to be installed in the MBR during
my install of FreeBSD.)

So the reboot happens and the first prompt I get is something that looks
vaguely like:

	F1.....BSD
	F5.....second disk

	Default F?

at which point it waits patiently for me to type in something.

Well, I wanna tell you that I tried just about every contorted keystroke
and combination of keystrokes and NOTHING would get me past this prompt...
NOTHING!  (I should say however that I did NOT try pressing the F5 key
because it seemed obvious to me that that key would NOT have produced
the result I wanted, i.e. booting to FreeBSD.)

So what did I do wrong and how can I get the *&%$# FreeBSD that I just
finished spending an hour and a half installing booted??

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S.  The reason I suspect that this is not an FAQ is that I doubt that
many people are in my exact situation... i.e. having two drives, with
the higher numbered one also having a partition marked as bootable on it
(in addition to there being a partition marked as bootable on the lower
numbered drive also).

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) demo: http://monkeys.com/cgi-bin/wpoison